Continuing a mini-series on discernible wisdom (we will run this series through September 22)
Grounding Text: Colossians 1.9,28
These verses carry the idea of growing by obeying/walking with Jesus is His way of wisdom.
Colossians 1:9 (NKJV)
9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
Colossians 1:28 (NKJV)
28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.
Main Text: Romans 8.28
Romans 8:28 (NKJV)
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Focus on God’s sovereignty purposes or way.
- Our grounding text (Colossians 1) & connection with the Sermon on the Mount.
- Jesus’ “Knowledge, wisdom and understanding” coming to by the Holy Spirit.
- Because of our desire to please and obey God in all areas of our life we live in wisdom (the point is made with an allusion to Job 28.12-28).
- This wisdom of God, which is an act of grace, empowers our faith to be firm in who Jesus is!
- The situation/contextual background of Romans: No condemnation, living in the Spirit, adoption by our abba, help in our sufferings and weakness…
- Reminder of our definition of discernible wisdom. To discern is to perceive or recognize; wisdom is to be marked by a deep understanding, or showing sound judgment (Webster’s). In Butler’s layman’s terms: being thoughtfully considerate of others.
- Looking at being “called according to His purpose”: “Called” out of ourselves and into His way.
- Practical applications of listening (so we can hear His calling and when He opens His way for us).
- (More on the “way” of God being opened up to us next week…)